7 July 2021
SECOS to establish Global Research Centre for Bioproducts
- SECOS is investing $2 million over three years to develop a world class Research and Development (R&D) Centre in Australia to support burgeoning demand for bio-based resin, film, and products. Projects will include developing compostable film in mono and multi-layer forms as well as bringing enhanced certified compostable resins and bags to market.
- Key focus of the Centre will be to develop better compostable biopolymer products for a wide array of food and packaging applications for use by converters and brands throughout the world.
- The R&D Centre leverages SECOS’ existing and leading-edge proprietary Intellectual Property (IP) together with its significant experience and proven track record in the use of compostable biopolymers to replace conventional plastics.
- SECOS will employ additional staff with leading edge material science competencies and invest in specialist compounding and film lines to develop high-end certified compostable biopolymer resin, film, bag, and injection molded rigid products.
- The Global R&D Centre will be unique to Australia and will build on SECOS’s already strong international R&D resources and expertise.
- SECOS intends to build on existing and form new alliances with Australian and offshore Universities to accelerate new product developments and to access global technical expertise in the biopolymer field.